he most important part of a telemarketing campaign is the initial contact. This is where you make your pitch, and to do this effectively, you need to know what script to use. A good book on telemarketing will guide you through every step of the process from picking up the phone for the first time to closing a sale. In this blog post, we will go over the best books that are great resources for anyone in business looking to improve their skillset when it comes to making calls.
Best Books on Telemarketing: THE LIST
|1. Cold Calling Techniques|
|2. Fanatical Prospecting|
|3. Smart Calling|
|4. Virtual Selling|
|5. The Conversion Code|
|6. Sales EQ|
|7. Million Dollar Rebuttal|
|8. I’d Rather Have a Root Canal Than Do Cold Calling|
|10. 42 Rules of Cold Calling|
|12. Predictable Revenue|
|13. Lessons from 100,000 Cold Calls|
|14. Exactly How to Sell|
1. Cold Calling Techniques | By Stephen Schiffman
For more than thirty years, Stephan Schiffman, America’s #1 corporate sales trainer, has shown millions of salespeople how to close a deal. In this newest edition of Cold Calling Techniques (That Really Work!), he’ll show you why cold calling is still a central element of the sales cycle and where to find the best leads. Updated with new information on e-mail selling, refining voice-mail messages, and online networking, his time-tested advice includes valuable discussion points that you’ll need to cover in order to effectively present your product or service and arrange a meeting. Schiffman teaches you how to use his proven strategies to:
- Turn leads into prospects
- Learn more about the client’s needs
- Convey the ability to meet the client’s demands
- Overcome common objections
With Cold Calling Techniques (That Really Work!), 7th Edition, you’ll watch your performance soar as you beat the competition and score a meeting every time!my.
2. Fanatical Prospecting | By Jeb Blount
Fanatical Prospecting gives salespeople, sales leaders, entrepreneurs, and executives a practical, eye-opening guide that clearly explains the why and how behind the most important activity in sales and business development—prospecting.
The brutal fact is the number one reason for failure in sales is an empty pipe and the root cause of an empty pipeline is the failure to consistently prospect. By ignoring the muscle of prospecting, many otherwise competent salespeople and sales organizations consistently underperform.
Step by step, Jeb Blount outlines his innovative approach to prospecting that works for real people, in the real world, with real prospects.
Learn how to keep the pipeline full of qualified opportunities and avoid debilitating sales slumps by leveraging a balanced prospecting methodology across multiple prospecting channels.
This book reveals the secrets, techniques, and tips of top earners. You’ll learn:
- Why the 30-Day Rule is critical for keeping the pipeline full
- Why understanding the Law of Replacement is the key to avoiding sales slumps
- How to leverage the Law of Familiarity to reduce prospecting friction and avoid rejection
- The 5 C’s of Social Selling and how to use them to get prospects to call you
- How to use the simple 5 Step Telephone Framework to get more appointments fast
- How to double callbacks with a powerful voice mail technique
- How to leverage the powerful 4 Step Email Prospecting Framework to create emails that compel prospects to respond
- How to get text working for you with the 7 Step Text Message Prospecting Framework
- And there is so much more!
Fanatical Prospecting is filled with the high-powered strategies, techniques, and tools you need to fill your pipeline with high-quality opportunities.
In the most comprehensive book ever written about sales prospecting, Jeb Blount reveals the real secret to improving sales productivity and growing your income fast. You’ll gain the power to blow through resistance and objections, gain more appointments, start more sales conversations, and close more sales.
Break free from the fear and frustration that is holding you and your team back from effective and consistent prospecting. It’s time to get off the feast or famine sales roller-coaster for good!
3. Smart Calling | By Art Sobczak
In the newest edition of Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling, celebrated author and sales trainer, Art Sobczak packs even more powerful insight into what many people fear: prospecting by phone for new business. This best-selling guide to “never experiencing rejection again” has consistently found its way into the Top 20 in Amazon’s Sales category, because its actionable sales tips and techniques have helped many minimize their fears and eliminate rejection.
The newest edition builds upon the very successful formula of the last edition to help sales professionals take control of their strategy and get more yeses from their prospects. With new information, this info-packed release provides powerful sales insights, including:
- The foundational concepts of cold calling, featuring real-life examples you can carry with you into your sales career
- Multiple case studies and messaging from successful salespeople across the globe, providing even more insight into what works and what’s a waste of your time
- New methodologies that are proven to push you past your fear and into the world of successful prospecting
- Free access to Art Sobczak’s Smart Calling Companion Course, where he builds on the many techniques and strategies in the book, and will update it with new material and tech resources so that you will always have the current best practices and tools.
If you’re failing to convert your prospects into dollars, Smart Calling will help you push past the obstacles holding you back until you’re an expert at taking a “no” and turning it into a “yes.”
4. Virtual Selling | By Jeb Blount
A global pandemic. Panic. Social distancing. Working from home.
To remain competitive, sales and business professionals were required to shift the way they engaged prospects and customers.
Overnight, virtual selling became the new normal. Now, it is here to stay.
Virtual selling can be challenging. It’s more difficult to make human-to-human connections. It’s natural to feel intimidated by technology and digital tools. Few of us haven’t felt the wave of insecurity the instant a video camera is pointed in our direction.
Yet, virtual selling is powerful because it allows you to engage more prospects and customers, in less time, at a lower cost, while reducing the sales cycle.
Virtual Selling is the definitive guide to leveraging video-based technology and virtual communication channels to engage prospects, advance pipeline opportunities and seal the deal. You’ll learn a complete system for blending video, phone, text, live chat, social media, and direct messaging into your sales process to increase productivity and reduce sales cycles.
Jeb Blount, one of the most celebrated sales trainers of our generation, teaches you:
- How to leverage human psychology to gain more influence on video calls
- The seven technical elements of impactful video sales calls
- The five human elements of highly effective video sales calls
- How to overcome your fear of the camera and always be video ready
- How to deliver engaging and impactful virtual demos and presentations
- Powerful video messaging strategies for engaging hard to reach stakeholders
- The Four-Step Video Prospecting Framework
- The Five-Step Telephone Prospecting Framework
- The LDA Method for handling telephone prospecting objections
- Advanced email prospecting strategies and frameworks
- How to leverage text messaging for prospecting and down pipeline communication
- The law of familiarity and how it takes the friction out of virtual selling
- The 5C’s of Social Selling
- Why it is imperative to become proficient with reactive and proactive chat
- Strategies for direct messaging – the “Swiss Army Knife” of virtual selling
- How to leverage a blended virtual/physical selling approach to close deals faster
As you dive into these powerful insights, and with each new chapter, you’ll gain greater and greater confidence in your ability to effectively engage prospects and customers through virtual communication channels. And, with this newfound confidence, your success and income will soar.
Following in the footsteps of his blockbuster bestsellers People Buy You, Fanatical Prospecting, Sales EQ, Objections, and Inked, Jeb Blount’s Virtual Selling puts the same strategies employed by his clients—a who’s who of the world’s most prestigious organizations—right into your hands.
5. The Conversion Code | By Chris Smith
The Conversion Code provides a step-by-step blueprint for increasing sales in the modern, Internet-driven era. Today’s consumers are savvy, and they have more options than ever before. Capturing their attention and turning it into revenue requires a whole new approach to marketing and sales. This book provides clear guidance toward conquering the new paradigm shift towards online lead generation and inside sales. You’ll learn how to capture those invaluable Internet leads, convert them into appointments, and close more deals. Regardless of product or industry, this proven process will increase both the quantity and quality of leads and put your sales figures on the rise.
Traditional sales and marketing advice is becoming less and less relevant as today’s consumers are spending much more time online, and salespeople are calling, emailing, and texting leads instead of meeting them in person. This book shows you where to find them, how to engage them, and how to position your company as the ideal solution to their needs.
- Engage with consumers more effectively online
- Leverage the strengths of social media, apps, and blogs to capture more leads for less money
- Convert more Internet leads into real-world prospects and sales appointments
- Make connections on every call and learn the exact words that close more sales
The business world is moving away from “belly-to-belly” interactions and traditional advertising. Companies are forced to engage with prospective customers first online—the vast majority through social media, mobile apps, blogs, and live chat—before ever meeting in person. Yesterday’s marketing advice no longer applies to today’s tech savvy, mobile-first, social media-addicted consumer, and the new sales environment demands that you meet consumers where they are and close them, quickly. The Conversion Code gives you an actionable blueprint for capturing Internet leads and turning them into customers.
6. Sales EQ | By Jeb Blount
The sales profession is in the midst of a perfect storm. Buyers have more power—more information, more at stake, and more control over the sales process—than any time in history. Technology is bringing disruptive change at an ever-increasing pace, creating fear and uncertainty that leaves buyers clinging to the status quo. Deteriorating attention spans have made it difficult to get buyers to sit still long enough to “challenge,” “teach,” “help,” give “insight,” or sell “value.” And a relentless onslaught of “me-too” competitors has made differentiating on the attributes of products, services, or even price more difficult than ever.
Legions of salespeople and their leaders are coming face to face with a cold hard truth: what once gave salespeople a competitive edge—controlling the sales process, command of product knowledge, an arsenal of technology, and a great pitch—are no longer guarantees of success. Yet this is where the vast majority of the roughly $20 billion spent each year on sales training goes. It’s no wonder many companies are seeing 50 percent or more of their salespeople miss quota.
Yet, in this new paradigm, an elite group of top 1 percent sales professionals is crushing it. In our age of technology where information is ubiquitous and buyer attention spans are fleeting, these superstars have learned how to leverage a new psychology of selling—Sales EQ—to keep prospects engaged, create true competitive differentiation, as well as shape and influence buying decisions. These top earners are acutely aware that the experience of buying from them is far more important than products, prices, features, and solutions.
In Sales EQ, Jeb Blount takes you on an unprecedented journey into the behaviors, techniques, and secrets of the highest-earning salespeople in every industry and field. You’ll learn:
- How to answer the 5 Most Important Questions in Sales to make it virtually impossible for prospects to say no
- How to master 7 People Principles that will give you the power to influence anyone to do almost anything
- How to shape and align the 3 Processes of Sales to lock out competitors and shorten the sales cycle
- How to Flip the Buyer Script to gain complete control of the sales conversation
- How to Disrupt Expectations to pull buyers towards you, direct their attention, and keep them engaged
- How to leverage Non-Complementary Behavior to eliminate resistance, conflict, and objections
- How to employ the Bridge Technique to gain the micro-commitments and next steps you need to keep your deals from stalling
- How to tame Irrational Buyers, shake them out of their comfort zone, and shape the decision-making process
- How to measure and increase your own Sales EQ using the 15 Sales Specific Emotional Intelligence Markers
- And so much more!
Sales EQ begins where The Challenger Sale, Strategic Selling, and Spin Selling leave off. It addresses the human relationship gap in the modern sales process at a time when sales organizations are failing because many salespeople have never been taught the human skills required to effectively engage buyers at the emotional level. Jeb Blount makes a compelling case that sales-specific emotional intelligence (Sales EQ) is more essential to success than education, experience, industry awareness, product knowledge, skills, or raw IQ; and, sales professionals who invest in developing and improving Sales EQ gain a decisive competitive advantage in the hyper-competitive global marketplace.
Sales EQ arms salespeople and sales leaders with the tools to identify their most important sales-specific emotional intelligence developmental needs along with strategies, techniques, and frameworks for reaching ultra-high performance and earnings, regardless of the sales process, industry, deal complexity, role (inside or outside), product or service (B2B or B2C).
7. Millionaire Dollar Rebuttal | By David Walter
Twenty years ago, as a telemarketer, I was able to get on an uncanny hot streak, setting 15 appointments a day for six months straight! I found success by abandoning traditional calling tactics. Instead, I developed my own counter-intuitive system for cold calling, which led to me starting my own telemarketing company.
Many companies have tried to steal my ideas, but now I reveal these closely-guarded secrets in my new book, ‘The Million-Dollar Rebuttal’!
8. I'd Rather Have a Root Canal Than Do Cold Calling | By Shawn Greene
The phone can be an amazing marketing tool. It leverages a personal touch, has a high response rate, and tends to generate results quickly. Alas, the phone can also create frustration and even dread. In this long-awaited third edition, Shawn Greene uses her trademark humor and before-and-after scripts to show you how to make effective calls in sync with a consultative style. She shares practical tips, explains how to avoid common mistakes, and busts myths that otherwise hold you back. Topics include: Why warming calls up doesn’t actually work (and what to do instead), how to sound and feel natural and confident, effective script formats, the secrets for getting voicemail messages returned, working with gatekeepers, handling objections – and more.
9. Objections | By Jeb Blount
There are few one-size-fits-all solutions in sales. Context matters. Complex sales are different from one-call closes. B2B is different than B2C. Prospects, territories, products, industries, companies, and sales processes are all different. There is little black and white in the sales profession.
Except for objections. There is democracy in objections. Every salesperson must endure many NOs in order to get to YES.
Objections don’t care or consider:
- Who you are
- What you sell
- How you sell
- If you are new to sales or a veteran
- If your sales cycle is long or short – complex or transactional
For as long as salespeople have been asking buyers to make commitments, buyers have been throwing out objections. And, for as long as buyers have been saying no, salespeople have yearned for the secrets to getting past those NOs.
Following in the footsteps of his blockbuster bestsellers Fanatical Prospecting and Sales EQ, Jeb Blount’s Objections is a comprehensive and contemporary guide that engages your heart and mind.
In his signature right-to-the-point style, Jeb pulls no punches and slaps you in the face with the cold, hard truth about what’s really holding you back from closing sales and reaching your income goals. Then he pulls you in with examples, stories, and lessons that teach powerful human-influence frameworks for getting past NO – even with the most challenging objections.
What you won’t find, though, is old-school techniques straight out of the last century. No bait and switch schemes, no sycophantic tie-downs, no cheesy scripts, and none of the contrived closing techniques that leave you feeling like a phony, destroy relationships and only serve to increase your buyers’ resistance.
Instead, you’ll learn a new psychology for turning around objections and proven techniques that work with today’s more informed, in control, and skeptical buyers. Inside the pages of Objections, you’ll gain deep insight into:
- How to get past the natural human fear of NO and become rejection proof
- The science of resistance and why buyers throw out objections
- Human influence frameworks that turn you into a master persuader
- The key to avoiding embarrassing red herrings that derail sales calls
- How to leverage the “Magical Quarter of a Second” to instantly gain control of your emotions when you get hit with difficult objections
- Proven objection turn-around frameworks that give you confidence and control in virtually every sales situation
- How to easily skip past reflex responses on cold calls and when prospecting
- How to move past brush-offs to get to the next step, increase pipeline velocity, and shorten the sales cycle
- The 5 Step Process for Turning Around Buying Commitment Objections and closing the sale
- Rapid Negotiation techniques that deliver better terms and higher prices
As you dive into these powerful insights, and with each new chapter, you’ll gain greater and greater confidence in your ability to face and effectively handle objections in any selling situation. And, with this new-found confidence, your success and income will soar.
10. 42 Rules of Cold Calling Executivies | By Mari Anne Vanella
’42 Rules of Cold Calling Executives (2nd Edition)’ is an easy-to-read book that gives concise, easy-to-implement methods to get results with cold calls. Many sales professionals find that part of their job difficult and unpleasant yet the 42 Rules gives them ways to redesign their thinking, approach, practices, and tools, to get the best possible results. This book contains some of the fundamental principles Mari Anne Vanella has developed over the course of her career. Her clients and her own company use this approach to execute the top-performing programs in the industry for the past seven years.
Reading this book will deliver the following benefits:
- An understanding of the dynamics of a cold call and how you can manage those to get results.
- A refined vision of the objectives of cold calling and how to get results that realize long-term benefits.
- Identification and practical use of methods and resources that achieve unbounded success in the cold calling process.
- Practical advice and specific techniques you can start using now that supply how-to solutions to cold calling efforts.
If you are part of sales management looking to give your team something to help them with cold calling challenges or are an account rep wanting better results, this book is for you. In it, you will learn and explore:
- Easy to implement methods to improve performance
- Real-life examples of what works
- Techniques for immediately making cold calling easier
- Ways to deliver consistent results
- How to get out of a production slump
11. Inked | By Jeb Blount
Each year, sales professionals leave billions of dollars on the table because they are outgunned, outmaneuvered, and outplayed by savvy buyers, who have been schooled in the art and science of negotiation.
Because today’s buyers have more power than ever before—more information, more at stake, and more control over the buying process—they almost always enter sales negotiations in a much stronger position than the salespeople on the other side of the table. The results are sadly predictable: salespeople and their companies end up on the losing end of the deal.
In this brutal paradigm, if you fail to master the skills, strategies, and tactics to go toe-to-toe with modern buyers and win at the sales negotiation table, your income and long-term earning potential will suffer—along with your company’s growth, profits, and market valuation.
In his new book INKED: The Ultimate Guide to Powerful Closing and Sales Negotiation Tactics that Unlock YES and Seal the Deal, Jeb Blount levels the playing field by giving you the strategies, tactics, techniques, skills, and human-influence frameworks required to become a powerful and effective sales negotiator.
In his signature, straightforward style, Jeb pulls no punches. He slaps you right in the face with the cold, hard truth and lays bare the reasons why you keep getting beaten by buyers who have been trained in how to play you. Then, he teaches you exactly what you need to know, do, and say to gain more control and more power over the outcomes of your deals, and WIN.
- Seven Immutable Rules of Sales Negotiation
- Why “Win-Win” Usually Means “You-Lose”
- The One Rule of Sales Negotiation You Must Never Break
- How to Leverage the Powerful MLP Strategy to Bend Win Probability in Your Favor
- The ACED Buyer Persona Model and How to Flex to Buyer Communication Styles
- Seven Principles of Effective Sales Negotiation Communication
- How to Leverage the DEAL Sales Negotiation Framework to Control the Negotiation Conversation and Get Ink
- How to Gain the Advantage with Comprehensive Sales Negotiation Planning Strategies and Tools
- Powerful Negotiation Psychology and Influence Frameworks that Keep You in Control of the Conversation
- How to Rise Above the Seven Disruptive Emotions that are Holding You Back at the Sales Negotiation Table
- How to Protect Yourself from the Psychological Games that Buyers Play
With these powerful tactics in your sales arsenal, you will approach sales negotiations with the confidence and power to take control of the conversation and get the prices, terms, and conditions that you deserve.
INKED is the most comprehensive Sales Negotiation resource ever developed for the sales profession. Unlike so many other negotiating books that ignore the reality sellers face in the rapid-fire, real-world of the sales profession, INKED is a sales-specific negotiation primer.
You’ll learn directly from one of the most sought-after and celebrated sales trainers of our generation. Following in the footsteps of his blockbuster bestsellers Fanatical Prospecting, Sales EQ, and Objections, Jeb Blount’s INKED puts the same strategies employed by his clients—a who’s who of the world’s most prestigious organizations—right into your hands.
12. Predictable Revenue | By Aaron Ross
Called “The Sales Bible of Silicon Valley”…discover the sales specialization system and outbound sales process that, in just a few years, helped add $100 million in recurring revenue to Salesforce.com, almost doubling their enterprise growth…with zero cold calls. This is NOT just another book about how to cold call or close deals. This is an entirely new kind of sales system for CEOs, entrepreneurs, and sales VPs to help you build a sales machine. What does it take for your sales team to generate as many highly qualified new leads as you want, create predictable revenue, and meet your financial goals without your constant focus and attention? Predictable Revenue has the answers!
13. Lessons From 100,000 Cold Calls | By Stewart Rogers
Compiling his lessons and techniques into an easy-to-use
guide, Rogers shows salespeople how to:
-Set realistic, yet challenging goals
-Build a master database of sales prospects
-Write simple yet powerful scripts
-Build immediate and intimate trust by phone
-Sell concept and credibility in 60 seconds
-Sell ethically by phone
Free audio samples available for download online will help readers hone their phone and selling skills. B2B telemarketing is as hot as ever, and Lessons from 100,000 Cold Calls is the one book salespeople need.
14. Exactly How to Sell | By Phil Jones
Exactly How to Sell walks you through a tried and true process that draws on time-tested methods that are designed to attract and keep more customers. No matter what you are selling (yourself, your product, or your services) this simple read is certain to provide you actionable strategies to deliver you more of the sales results you are looking for.
Inside, Phil M. Jones writes from experience and explains how to get more customers and keep them all happy—while they’re spending more money, more often. Using simple, practical, and easy-to-implement methods in line with the modern business landscape, Phil educates and guides you, giving you the confidence you need to develop the skills you need to win more business.
- Boost your salesmanship to support your core profession
- Create intent in a buyer and scenarios where everybody wins
- Choose your words wisely and present like a pro
- Overcome the indecision in your customers and close more sales
- Manage your customer base and have them coming back for more
If you want to up your sales game, Exactly How to Sell shows you how.
Final Thoughts on the Best Books on Telemarketing
Telemarketing is a great way to generate leads for your business, but it can be difficult if you don’t know what you’re doing. With the right books and courses, however, this process becomes much easier!
Do you see a book that you think should be on the list? Let us know your feedback here.
James is the editor-in-chief at biggerinvesting.com. James is a workaholic and an entrepreneur who has been in the tech industry for over ten years. He has worked with Microsoft, owns multiple websites, and now owns a mattress shop. Furthermore, when he has time left over, he will be in his woodworking shop building furniture as a side hustle. James has a B.S. in Business Management Information Systems and a Master’s in Business Administration from Liberty University. He is currently pursuing a Master’s in Executive Leadership, and once he completes that, he will pursue his Ph.D. in Business Administration – Entrepreneurship. James also seeks investment opportunities, putting his money to work instead of himself.